Did you know?
- In India, coins were introduced around 6th century BC making them some of the earliest issued coins.
- The origin of the word “rupee” is from the Sanskrit word raupyak which means silver and the Sanskrit word rupya which means “shaped, impressed coin.”
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) started producing notes (or paper money) in 1938.
- The present series of bank notes is known as the Mahatma Gandhi series. It was introduced in 1996 on the 10-rupee note. Now, all the notes have an image of Mahatma Gandhi.
- On each bank note, the amount is written in 17 different languages of India.
Fun facts from mapsofindia.com