I am happy to share with all of you that the new Girls’ Choice Outdoor Badges were announced on March 12th in honor of Girl Scouts 103rd Birthday!
Thanks to all of your hard work, voting day in, and day out, Girl Scout Brownies through Ambassadors will have 5 new badges to work on later this year.
- Girl Scout Brownie: Outdoor Adventurer (a choice of outdoor activities, including things like bike riding, wading in a creek, developing a camp skill, and more)
- Girl Scout Junior: Horseback Riding
- Girl Scout Cadette: Archery
- Girl Scout Senior: Paddling (canoeing, kayaking, or paddle boarding)
- Girl Scout Ambassador: Ultimate Recreation Challenge (a choice five outdoor challenges such as rock climbing, zip lining, waterskiing, and more)
I know all of your as excited as I am about these badges and are counting down the days until they are available this summer for downloading. Right now, GSUSA is hard at work fine-tuning the badges to ensure that each one provides exciting outdoor experiences for girls. To ensure that this process continues to be girl-led, they continued to talk to girls around the country, gather ideas, input and even badge designs!
They still need your help too! From now until March 20th, they need girls to vote between two badge designs at each level.
In the meantime, if you want to celebrate the new Girls’ Choice Outdoor Badges, you can join me, a volunteer/teen committee and Caitlin’s Outdoor Adventurers at GSCM’S JAMBOREE, MAY 1-3, 2015 AT CAMP CONOWINGO. This is the 10th year for the event. Formerly known at the Annual Encampment, this year the event our theme is Outdoor Odyssey! In honor of the new Outdoor recreation badges, we have designed a full weekend of Greek Mythological fun filled with outdoor adventures. We will go canoeing with Poseidon’s Paddles, walk through Pan’s Paradise and shoot Artemis’ Arrow? You will even be able to challenge yourself to the top of mount Olympus!
Hope to see you there! Register here
And of course, I hope to see you this summer at resident camp!
Megan “Taz” Hardy